An ongoing dialogue on HIV/AIDS, infectious diseases,
June 10th, 2017
What’s Your Favorite Antibiotic? A Fantasy Draft
Over on the journal Open Forum Infectious Diseases (that’s “O-F-I-D”, not “Oh-FID”), the generous people from IDSA and Oxford University Press have allowed me to record a series of podcasts, interviewing various interesting people in the ID field.
This time, however, I strayed from the usual format and asked my colleague Rebeca Plank to join me in a “draft” of our 5 favorite antibiotics.
Which is emphatically not to imply that Rebeca isn’t interesting. On the contrary — she happens to have one of the most impressive pen collections in all of Eastern Massachusetts.
Still, you may wonder, why did we do this? Several reasons:
- We sensed a burning need for this this critical educational resource, which as you will see teaches fundamental truths about these important therapeutic tools.
- One of us wanted to honor the upcoming baseball draft (hint: Rebeca couldn’t care less about baseball).
- Someone gave me a USB microphone, and it was sitting around doing nothing for way too long.
In short, mostly we did it for fun.
Take a listen! And while you’re at it, two questions:
- What are your favorite antibiotics, and why?
- What should we draft next?
Meanwhile, many life lessons in this video:
this is the funniest thing that will happen at a sporting event this year pic.twitter.com/f6Yq9lErin
— joon (@joonlee) June 10, 2017
(H/T to Joe Posnanski and Michael Schur for the draft idea.)